Poisoning Foam Pudding Increases 74 People in Terengganu

KUALA TERENGGANU, May 27 - Food poisoning cases believed to be the result of foam pudding purchased online on Friday continued to increase to 74 from 48 since yesterday.

Terengganu state health director Dr Nor Azimi Yunus said of the 74 cases involving 16 families, 62 were living in Kuala Terengganu while 12 were from Marang district.

He said 33 patients had received treatment at Sultanah Nur Zahirah Hospital (HSNZ), eight had been treated in private hospitals and the remaining 22 had received treatment as outpatients.

"The department also tracked down other victims' families and found 11 more victims of food poisoning but symptoms they did not require further treatment at the hospital.

"From the investigation conducted by the District Health Department, we find that, most likely, or the cause we suspect, is from the eggs used in the foam pudding.

"However, confirmation has yet to be obtained from the laboratory conducting tests on the samples we take, either from the environment of the puddings, or the samples we take from treated patients," he said in a statement today.

Earlier, 48 individuals were reported to have been poisoned after eating foam pudding, which was purchased online last Friday.

Meanwhile, Nor Azimi said he was investigating the premises and the sampling was conducted by the Kuala Terengganu District Health Food Safety and Food Unit on Monday.

He said he had also closed the kitchen of the premises for sale of the pudding traders under the Infection Control Act 1988 from Monday to June 7, which is for 14 days.

Several poisoning victims found at HSNZ said they did not expect to be admitted to the ward at Aidilfitri this time after suffering from diarrhea, vomiting and fever after enjoying the foam pudding.

"That night, last Friday, I ate the pudding at break time. It tasted good. But then, it was a very severe stomach ache. The stomach ached, three or four times emptying.

"Later, my wife took me to the clinic. The clinic did not receive it because I had a fever, so we went to the hospital. Abdull Aziz Idris, 63 years old.